I'm very pleased to welcome Sarah of Sarah's Random Musings today to tell us what she wants to see in YA. Sarah is not only a prolific blogger and reader, but she is also an aspiring writer. Stop by her blog and give her a cheer!
Sarah lives just over the Puget Sound from me, so I've gotten to see her on many lovely occasions (including the TMAS party!). If you ever wonder if she is as bright and creative and lovely as her blog, I can guarantee you she is.
I had dinner with a few YA authors and we got talking about what we would love to see in YA and that really got me thinking, here are a few things that I would love to see:
1. More Older YA. I am nineteen and applying to college. There are only a handful of books that I can think of that have MCs that seriously want to college or are about after high school. Catalyst by Laurie Halse Anderson, If I Stay by Gayle Forman, Hate List by Jennifer Brown, and Tell Me A Secret by Holly Cupala are some of the books that I can think of.
2. Mysteries. I love a good Mystery, like All Unquiet Things by Anna Jarzab and The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting. Dani Noir by Nova Ren Suma is more middle grade, but a great example. Make something that is Veronica Mars-ish. Also Spies are kick ass too.
3. Time Travel. I can't really think of any YA books that have time travel, but as a Doctor Who fan, I want to see something like this. Spaceships wouldn't be bad either.
4. Sick books! Okay, they are sad and depressing, but they are amazing! Before I Die by Jenny Downham and Forever Changes by Brendan Haplin.
5. Unicorns... and Zombies. I love Unicorns and I will admit that I enjoy zombies sometimes. I would love to see some originality like Diana Peterfreud and Carrie Ryan's book. And there is no such thing as too many unicorn books. My friend Khy, also did a post about this.
So what do you want to see in books?
Readers, what are your five things? What do you think of Sarah's? And...the all-important question...Zombies or Unicorns?
Comment for a chance to win book prizes! Big book drop finale next week! (US residences only...sorry!)
(And by the way, this What YA Bloggers Want series is in honor of YALSA's Teen Read Week and National Book Month!).